Sunday, December 26, 2021

QNAP TS-h886 Memory Upgrade

In January of 2021 Holly and I finally setup a combined storage system. The system started with 16 GB of ECC UDIMM RAM (2x 8 GB sticks).

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/2 second exposure.

Getting the RAM was a bit interesting.

First, ECC UDIMMs are not tremendously common. Second, you have to worry about whether or not they are compatible.

I found a useful Reddit post and also a memory compatibility search feature on the Kingston website.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/4 second exposure. 

I wound up ordering the RAM from CDW as they proved to have a decent price and actually have what we needed in stock, most other sites did not.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/3 second exposure. 

While I was at it I decided to take photos of it as I took it apart.

Above in the top right you can see the two PCIE slots for add-on cards.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/2 second exposure. 

The blower is fairly robust and the system operates really quietly. It was one screw and one clip to remove the shroud and fan.

Beneath the shroud were the 4x RAM slots and 2x NVMe SSD slots. I plan to fill the NVMe slots at some point.

I wound up only being able to use the 2x new 32 GB ECC UDIMM sticks. The system would not boot with the two different brands and using both the 2x new sticks and 2x old sticks. So total RAM now is 64 GB.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/4 second exposure.  

The cable routing for the power cables and back-plane for the hot-swappable bays was pretty clean.

 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 10 mm and f/3.5 and ISO 100 with 1/6 second exposure.  

Above is a top down view into the system.

Below is the final image of the RAM after I put it back together, realized it would not boot, and took it apart again.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM @ 17 mm and f/4 and ISO 100 with 1/6 second exposure.

All in I was satisfied with the servicing and upgrade experience. The layout appears well thought out and the system supports a wide range of third-party RAM, SSDs, etc.

I do not think the CPU is upgrade-able. And last I checked this may still be a pain point if I want to upgrade our Windows 10 VM to Windows 11 as this CPU does not support some of the Windows 11 security requirements.


No comments:

Post a Comment